Buzz Audio released Velox, a dual channel optical recording compressor.
We first manufactured the SOC-1.1 in 1999 and it brought to the market an optical (light dependant resistor) compressor with more user control than what was available at the time (LA series for example). The unit was emmensly popular and we built hundreds of them, but the construction was a bit messy and time consuming to build, so we recently retired the SOC-1.1 and have replaced it with the Velox!
So the Velox sports the same amazing compression character of the original SOC-1.1 but we have added a MIX control so you can blend the input signal with the compressor output, and we have installed a BASS filter into the side chain to reduce the sensitivity of the compressor at low frequencies. We have also introduced more options to cater for your budget. The entry level Velox is available with high quality Texas Instrument audio opamps or you can opt for the high end Class A discrete transistor BE41 amplifiers. In addition we offer an optional Lundahl LL1517 transformer output that can be fitted to both versions.
The Velox is very easy to use for recording individual tracks or on the stereo mix buss because of the “soft knee” characteristic. The AUTO attack and release settings have been perfected to provide natural compression and in many cases that’s all you will ever need for acoustic or vocal work. The MIX control allows you to use the 20:1 (virtually brick wall limiting) compression and blend that with the input for more “heavy” sounds – the options are virtually endless – but what ever you choose works!.
- The same compressor characteristic as the original SOC-1.1 but with additional features.
- Optional fully discrete transistor Class A or integrated circuit signal path.
- Smooth soft knee compression – does not dig holes in your tracks.
- Mix control for blending the uncompressed and compressed signal further enhances the ratio selections.
- Side chain high pass filter (bass mode) for more bass punch on full mixes.
- Boutique hand made with loving care in New Zealand.
- All high quality components and controls to last a life time.
Velox-IC | US$1870 | €1630 | £1420 |
Velox-DC | US$2200 | €1930 | £1670 |
More info here: Buzz Audio | Velox