The bowed psaltery is a 20th century re-imagining of the psaltery, a plucked zither dating as far back as ancient times. The instrument produces a high, almost glassy tone similar to other fretless zithers, and does an excellent job of standing out in any mix. With a sound reminiscent of its medieval roots, it’s a sure match for any fantasy or historical track.
We have painstakingly chromatically sampled the entire range of a two-octave example with 14 total articulations ranging from the original bowed to plucked, picked, and even struck with a hammered dulcimer mallet, all with up to 8 round robins.
- 2 NKI for FULL Kontakt 5.6.8+
- 912 unique samples in full 48kHz/24-bit quality.
- Full chromatic sampling of two octave range; ‘extended’ range patch available as well.
- 14 articulations, including three lengths of bowings, tremolo, picked, plucked, and hammered.
- Two mixable mic positions.
- 4-8 RR on shorts, 2-4 RR on longs.
- 25 aleatoric effects.
When it came to our attention that an aging Baldwin piano was destined to be turned into a coffee table after being found unrestorable, we took it upon ourselves to grit our teeth and sample the hideously out of tune instrument in full detail.
The entire 88-key range of the instrument was sampled chromatically with two dynamic layers, one suitable for subtle suspense and one for jumpscares. The quieter dynamic features two round robins. In addition, a massive set of aleatoric effects and hits have been recorded.
- Original untuned, “semi-tuned”, and FX patches in a single keyswitchable instrument.
- Three mic positions- Main (spaced LDC’s), Ribbon (close), and Vintage (1950’s Shure Hercules dictation mic).
- 595 unique samples in full 44.1 kHz/24-bit quality.
- Full sampled sustains and releases; 2xRR for quiet layers.
- 7 creative snapshots ranging from “Backstabber” to “Broken Space Clavier” to get the creative juices flowing!
- Certified to make piano tuners cower in fear.
- For FULL Kontakt 5.6.8+